Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Said Yes...

I am busy.  I get easily distracted.  I don't always take time to be with my kids.  Some days I could waste hours on the computer if I let myself.  

There.  I said it.  I'm human, and I've been realizing once again how quickly time flies.  This week I have been contemplating how I spend my time, and realizing how often I postpone things my kiddos ask.  I get tired, busy, and frequently answer "not now" or "maybe" and never really intend to follow through.  While this thought has been following me around this week, I read a post from Kristen at Little House Joy today.  Go ahead.  Read her thoughts, and then come back.  Has she been reading my mind?  Serious.  I couldn't believe what I was reading. That's exactly what I've been thinking about.  

I've frequently wondered lately "what will my kids remember me as when they look back on their years at home?"  Will they remember a mom who was too busy cleaning or on the computer and didn't have time to listen or play with them?  Oh how I hope not.  I do think though that I need to be more aware of this & focus on them.  While I still have them under my wing I want to make the most of every opportunity.

So today I said yes!  I was baking the most delicious muffins ever (more on that later this week!) and Daniel asked to help.  Oh how easy it is to say "not this time" and quick get them in the oven.  But I said yes and allowed him to help.  After the muffins were in the oven, he asked me to play a board game with him.  He asks this a LOT, and I usually say "later."  But later rarely comes.  So right then and there I said yes.  Before I knew it the older two were joining in.  And although the kitchen and dishes didn't get cleaned before the muffins came out of the oven, I don't regret saying yes at all.  






It's not always easy to say yes and I think it takes a daily effort to put my selfish wants and desires aside & put them first.  Lots to ponder. (of course this doesn't mean I'm going to give them everything they want and spoil them!)

And now just a little teaser.  I am so over the moon for these muffins that I need to gather my words & pictures to tell you about the little beauties.  They were wonderful.  Do you see that delicious glaze on top?   Yummo!



My eyes are ever on the Lord,
Jessica

0 comments:

Post a Comment